There are many different types of safes, so it’s important to know what kind of safes there are before you can decide what type of safe you will need.
Types Of Safes:
- Home Safe: Your basic safe. Built to withstand burglary and fires. Usually opened with a combination lock.
- Gun Safe: Gun safes are the most common safes bought by homeowners. They are the most popular and biggest of all noncommercial safes. Some can hold up to forty-five rifles while most are only big enough to hold one handgun.
- Biometric Safes: These are safes that only open with a fingerprint scan.
- Wall Safes: This type of safe is built into the wall so that a painting or other wall covering will conceal it. It is usually about the size of [FILL IN HERE] and contains two or three shelves.
- Digital Electronic Safe: These operate by using a digital keypad to open the door.
- Burglar Resistant: Most safes are designed to be burglar resistant, but some can withstand more than others. Descriptions include an estimate of how long it might take a burglar to get inside a safe and what type of tools could be used to open it—like power saws, cutting wheels, and torches. The most sophisticated and burglar-resistant safes can even withstand explosives, such as nitroglycerin!
- Fire Resistant: Not every safe is designed to remain intact during a fire. Those that are make the perfect repository for important documents. Fire-resistant safes include insulated drawers and lids that can withstand 450 degree heat for up to four hours.
- Water Resistant: These are designed to keep out any moisture or dust and are usually used for sensitive collectables.
- Combination: The most commonly used form of lock. Can only be opened if the correct numbers are input in the correct order.
- Key: These safes can only be opened by a specific key. This adds an extra layer of security as the key to the safe can be hidden far from it.
- Electronic: These safes either come with a keypad for digitally entering the combo or a biometric scanner. These are harder to crack than the mechanical lock.
- Time Locks: These locks can be programmed to only open at a certain time.
With more than 2,000,000 homes being burgled every year, it’s easy to understand why so many rely on a safe to protect their jewelry, cash, and personal documents. Always protect your valuables and considering getting a safe to do so.