Moving is one of the most stressful things you can go through. Between forgetting to pack the little things, all the last-minute reminders, and everything that needs to be set up in your new home, you could probably use these tips to make your moving day a smoother one.
When You’re Packing Up
- Look over the Bill of Lading. This is the contract you have with the moving company. Make sure it says exactly what terms you agreed to and ask any questions you have before the movers put anything in their truck.
- Supervise packing. Even though movers are professionals, keep an eye on them while they’re packing up. You will know that all your possessions are packed properly and being treated with care, easing your stress.
Checking Your Home
- Make sure to do a full walkthrough of the house to make sure nothing is forgotten. Go through every room, even the attic and crawlspaces. You wouldn’t want to leave anything behind just because it is out of sight.
- Check for any damage the movers may have caused. This needs to be documented so that you don’t have any problems while your house is being sold.
- Have cash ready for tips and for any tolls you may go through on the road. Being prepared will ensure your stress stays at a minimum.
- Make sure the movers have your phone number in case they get lost on the way to your new home.
Your New Home
- Do your best to beat the moving truck to your new home so that you don’t get charged for any extraneous fees from the moving company.
- Do a walkthrough with your real estate agent. Make sure that everything you agreed upon is up to date and everything is where it’s supposed to be.
- Check the utilities in your new home. Ensure that power outlets are working properly as well as showers, toilets, and sinks. If you discover a problem early in the day, it will give you a chance to address it before you try to sleep at night.
- Tape names to the doors to assist the movers. Make a clear plan for them to follow so that you don’t have to move boxes from room to room.
- Don’t schedule your cable installation or home security installation for your moving day. This is too much to deal with, particularly if you must deal with any unexpected challenges. Plan to have these set up the day after you move in or contact My Alarm Center about having home security set up before you even move in.
Moving day is always stressful, no matter how much planning you put into it. Do your best to be as organized as possible and stay hydrated. Remember, it’s okay to take breaks and grab a snack if you need one.